Monday, October 6, 2008

The Tailgate Party

Friday evening was the second time I’ve seen some of my old friends from the 1966 Class of St Albans High School. This year was an informal “tailgate party” and afterwards, we walked to the football field to watch the “homecoming” game.

You can view the web site at : SAHS66

(Out of curiosity, I attended my first 40th class reunion a few years ago).

My most notable high school contribution, in those days, was being a musician with a “rock and roll” band. We played for school dances and some of the local establishments in the valley. We made enough money to buy gas and pull maintenance on the old car I drove at the time. I’ve said many times, in my later life, “there are a lot of good poor guitar players in the world”.

Everyone learning to play guitar in Kanawha Valley started with Dwayne Eddie’s famous tune called “Rebel Rouser” and a good friend of mine and I played a lot of instrumentals from the “Ventures”. They were “hot” back then with their electric “Fender” lead, rhythm and bass guitars.

The other group I was associated with was CB operators. My little group met on Channel 14 in those days and talked about anything and everything happening in school.

I saw a few from both those groups at the gathering. But I didn’t recognize them at first sight. It was rather embarrassing trying to guess which one was from what group. We’ve all changed drastically in the last 40 years.

But it was great to see them, or at least those who had managed to live until now. I’m amazed at those who pursued their education and career ambitions and have become successful in life.

Of course, this brings up the question of “what’s really important in life” and “who is really successful”?

I’m still playing guitar but the electric model has been replaced with an acoustic one.
I’m still into radio but the CB has been replaced with Ham Radio .

I guess I’m successful, but if not by some standards, at least I’m happy!

I think...., really..... that’s all that matters in life.

No comments: