Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pipestem State Park

When I was younger, I thought nothing of hiking or walking 10 or 12 miles a day. There aren't many places in the this state that I haven't hiked, biked, or kayaked. A few weeks ago, Marilyn and I went to Pipestem State Park for the weekend to hike with the Kanawha Trail Club. I used to hike regularly with them but my back gives me a lot of trouble now and I can only hike a few miles without resting. It happens.....

Pipestem is a great place to enjoy the outdoors. The club stayed down in the valley near the Bluestone River. The only way to get there is the tramway. The view and the isolation is well worth the ride.
The hike at the bottom of the Gorge meanders along for miles and miles. It's pristine down here and you're likely to see just about anything in the wildlife category. One of the better hikes in this area demands that you cross the river on foot. I did it many years ago but the weather was way too cold to make an attempt this day.

No comments: